Fast, healthy and tasty are my non-negotiables when it comes to cooking mid-week dinners and this recipe is one of my absolute favourites. If you want melt-in-your-mouth chicken and the creamiest pea mash you’ve ever tasted, be sure to give this meal a try! It also has you covered nutritionally – with lean protein, fibre, vitamins, minerals, healthy fats and no nasties whatsoever!
Succulent chicken on creamy pea mash (serves 2-4)
2 garlic cloves, peeled
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp coconut oil
2 organic chicken breasts
2 tbsp organic tamari sauce
Sea salt and pepper
500g frozen peas, thawed
Lemon slices for serving
Handful of fresh chives
- Place peas in a deep pot on the stove at high heat, cover with water and boil for 2-3 minutes.
- Turn heat off, strain peas and set aside.
- With a sharp knife, slice each chicken breast through the midsection (lengthways) to create 4 thinner chicken breast pieces.
- Place baking paper over the chicken pieces and thump them softly with your fist to flatten them further.
- Throw baking paper away and sprinkle a pinch of sea salt, pepper and a drizzle of tamari sauce over each breast.
- Place a large flat pan on the stove at medium high heat and add coconut oil.
- Once oil is sizzling slightly, add chicken breasts and cook on each side for approximately 2-3 minutes or until browned.
- While waiting for the chicken to cook, place peas, garlic and olive oil in a food processor with a sprinkle of sea salt and pepper.
- Process until smooth then form a bed of pea mash on each serving plate.
- Top the pea mash with the chicken breasts and add a squeeze of lemon juice and a sprinkle of fresh chives over the top.
- Enjoy your super healthy, quick and tasty meal!